IN MY BAG - FEBRUARY 2014
I was feeling a little under the weather this week, so I decided to spare you a sickly tutorial video and skip along to my February favorites! Next week we'll begin a series of tutorials based on bringing the makeup trends from the Spring 2014 runways to your real life. Don't miss it :)
For now, let's take a peek at what's "in my bag" this month! Here in NJ we've been battling mother nature, who has decided to bless us with mountains of snow and freezing temps. Not only are the outdoor conditions very harsh on our skin, but so are the indoor! Dry heat inside and freezing air outside have been sucking the life out of my skin. Here are the products I have been using religiously all month to protect and preserve my hair, skin and nails. xo KL
1. Garnier Skin Renew Clinical Dark Spot Overnight Peel - I have a few acne scars that I'm trying to lighten and this seems to be doing the trick. It's also a great glycolic based peel that will digest the dead skin cells on your face, leaving it soft, smooth, and better prepared to absorb moisturizers and treatment products.
2. Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil - I am addicted to this stuff. It instantly makes your nails and cuticles look like you've just had a manicure. Apply it daily to keep those cuticles and nails hydrated!
3. Glamglow Supermud - I love trying different at-home beauty treatments while I'm snowed in. It keeps me from baking and eating myself into oblivion:) This product claims to provide results comparable to a professional facial; I have to say it noticeably tightened my pores and exfoliated my skin very well. It's a keeper.
*I linked the gift set that I purchased at Sephora which includes two Glamglow products: The Glamglow "Tinglexfoliate Treatment" and the Glamglow "Clearing Treatment".
4. Josie Maran 100 Percent Pure Argan Oil Light - My baseboard heat lies right behind the headboard of my bed, so I love using this oil at bedtime to lock in moisture while I sleep. It's also great as a makeup primer for very dry skin or very dry patches of skin that you may have during the winter.
6. WEN Pomegranate Rosemary Treatment Oil - As most of you know, I'm a full-blown WEN girl. For the last two years, I have only used WEN Cleansing Conditioner in lieu of shampoo and it has dramatically improved my formerly thin, weak hair. Even my hairdresser noticed the added thickness before I told him what I had been using. I digress. Back to the treatment oil - I have been adding a couple drops to the ends of my hair after blowdrying and again before bed to keep split ends at bay. I love the scent of this oil, which is the perfect balance of subtle fruity sweetness from the pomegranate and clean freshness from the rosemary. I'll even add a few drops to my body lotion because I love it so much :)
7. Maybelline Baby Lips Dr. Rescue Medicated Lip Balm, Just Peachy #45 - I have a tube of this lip balm everywhere: in my makeup bag, in my purse, and in my car. I like it for its smooth hydrating texture and its light menthol tingle, but I LOVE it for being my perfect shade of nude lipstick. My lips are naturally a very bright pink (especially in the winter) and this balm is pigmented enough to tone them down a few shades without letting my natural color shine through too much.
8. Vaseline Petroleum Jelly - Don't laugh. This is probably the one product that is truly saving my skin this winter. I use it on hands, elbows, feet, cuticles, and even my dog's nose. It will heal your worst dry skin and bring it back to life. Since it's thick and very greasy, I apply it before bed so that it has time to absorb into the skin overnight. Duncan gets a little dab on his nose at bedtime too (as recommended by his Veterinarian) to eliminate the cracked skin he is prone to as a French Bulldog.
9. Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser - *GAME-CHANGER* I learned about this product through British beauty bloggers that I follow on YouTube. It was mentioned several times by various bloggers as a "cult favorite", so I decided to do a little more research. I gave it a try for the first time in October and my skin has never been better! I gave a bottle to my sister to try (who has a more oily skin type than my combination skin) and she has also become a devout Liz Earle disciple. It's a cream cleanser applied to dry skin and then wiped away with a damp muslin cloth (that they provide with your order). I love how it leaves my skin feeling extremely clean as well as nourished, soft and calm. Since it's not sold locally in the US, I order direct from lizearle.com. An added bonus is that it arrives monthly by Royal Mail, making me think of my favorite Royal, Prince Harry, every time i see the postmark.